Saturday, June 21, 2008

HIS BEST FRIEND, AL – (part 2)


It’s not only my friend and my patients who enjoy the company of Al. My husband too. Last year his liver function test was triply elevated forcing me to start him on supplemental drugs. He took it for 3 months but decided not to have his levels checked thereafter. His usual line? “ If I’m going to die now, I am going to die..” But, he promised not to take more than 2 bottles of beer each time he goes on drinking spree with his friends. However, this is the way he counts, first bottle and last bottle equals two bottles.


Then his friends tell me,” it’s just San Mig Lite”. The “light” in San Miguel, does not refer to low alcohol levels, it simply means low calories. That means, each bottle still contains 10g of alcohol. One night, I joined him and his friends, I drank two bottles of San Mig light. Yes, we enjoyed the night but the next day, my head throbbed and ached like never before. I really don’t understand why, after a game of golf, they all rush to their favourite diners and drink. Why waste the calories you lose after 18 or 19 holes of golf to alcohol?


Al is not an acquaintance. I was introduced to AL ever since I was young. My grandfather was a hard core alcoholic and it is not surprising that most of my uncles followed his lead. When my husband was in Cotabato, my uncles tried to grill him. Poor Jerome. He was forced to drink more than his capacity. Two bottles of Red Horse rendered him puking and dizzy. Everyday when I was small, evenings will not be complete without a bottle of Tanduay or Ginebra. What I hate most though were the after- drinking events. Some of my uncles start to get passionate, angry and all sorts of exaggerated emotions. Despite this blatant addiction to alcohol, they’re still alive and healthy except for my grandfather. But, of course, they all mellowed down when they were in their 50’s because their blood exams showed abnormal liver function. Now, their sons inherit the vice.


I do not ask men to stop drinking. Alcohol has beneficial effects on the heart and it has been proven. The problem arises when the limit is exceeded. I just hope Filipino men realize the value of discipline and control. Even Jesus went into social drinking in His time.


Again, Al may be a man’s best friend but he can be his worst enemy. As always, everything that is excessive is not good. Moderation is the key. Life is too short for us to waste our money on medications when we could have saved it through control and proper nutrition.

No comments: