Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Acute Laryngitis


For the past 4 days, my voice croaked like a frog. After two hours in the gym last Saturday, I developed muscle pains and suddenly my voice became hoarse. It was another bout of laryngitis.


For a doctor to lose her voice, it really is a big problem. For the past 2 days I've been apologizing to my patients that I could not explain well their problem because of my laryngitis. They all looked at me with pity and said they understand.


Honestly, I could see in their eyes the "c'mon-doc-you-need-some-rest" look. How can I when I know people need my help? Anyway, if you ever have laryngitis, best thing to do really is to rest your voice. Allow the inflammation of the vocal cords to heal by taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as Mefenamic Acid, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. If the cause of the laryngitis is bacterial, antibiotic regimen may be necessary. However, should the laryngitis persist, perhaps, steroids for one week will do its magic.


On top of these, drink a lot of water at least 8 glasses a day. Also, warm saline gargle 3x a day should also be done.

No comments: