Thursday, May 15, 2008

The GYM Busters!!!


This morning I found myself eavesdropping in the girls locker room of the gym, to a group of ladies of about 40-50 years old. They wore their body hugging shirts and tight work-out pants as if they were the sexiest of women while I hide my bumps in loose jogging pants. I'm not fond of tight work-out clothes, although I make sure I see some curves when I exercise to either build my self confidence or push me to exercise more. Anyway, they talked about funny things like, "you think men will like this?", I looked at them out of curiosity. (By the way, I appeared busy drying my hair) and one lady was modeling a bra- a sports bra which you're supposed to wear under thin work-out shirts or as is, if you're that confident. I wanted to laugh because her tummy was not just bloated, it was literally sagging! Out of nowhere somebody handed them an oil essence which they all applied on their bellies and here comes another lady with an obviously dyed white hair saying "Ooooh! That felt so good, will this make my fat shrink?". After 20 minutes they all hurried away to the body jam class.


You see, time and again, I always see this group. I came from another gym and the same kind of group amuse me. They go to the gym early and attend the group exercises together as if there's no tomorrow. I really wonder how old their children are now or where are their husbands? On top of that, they eat the same kind of food because they order it from the same cook who prepares either South Beach or whatever-diet they like. And they're there almost everyday!!...while I have to run from my clinic just to fulfill my 3x a week exercise regimen!


Whew! There are more stories to tell but these eavesdropping experiences help me understand my own aging mechanism plus the fact that I want to become a geriatrician. Taking care of the elderly starts from taking care of those who are in the younger old population. I know there is much to learn. Next time I think I'd bring a recorder.

No comments: